May 18, 2009 Post-Meeting List
Called to order at 6:30 p.m.; adjourned at 10:27 p.m.
• Unanimously in a single vote to approve the "Save Our Stop" Rail Service task force charge, with slight amendments, and to grant the task force Special Municipal Employee status
• Unanimously to approve the proposal for distributing emergency shelter and fuel funds from the Waxman case with slight amendments
• Unanimously to recommend the Town Manager's Town Budget as presented at the 5/11 meeting (recognizing that the recommendation is based on current - 5/18 - State aid information and expectations, and reserving the right to amend the recommendation regarding funding for the War Memorial Pool at our 6/1 meeting, should State aid allow for cuts only at the Tier 2 level, rather than the expected Tier 3 or 4 levels)
• Unanimously to approve the Special Liquor License for a UMass event, per the motion sheet
• Unanimously to approve the April Select Board Report
Agreed, without votes:
• That SB members would offer comments to Dave Ziomek about the Open Space and Recreation Plan by e-mail, and copy the Select Board; that the SB will schedule another discussion of the OSRP for the 6/1 meeting, to address any significant disagreements about policy; that a letter in support of the plan will be drafted for consideration at that meeting (we didn't discuss this, but Stephanie will do this unless someone else wants to)
• That until the SOS Task Force is listed on the Citizen Activity Form, applicants should use one of the blank spaces on the CAF to indicate interest in that body
• That the SB continues to support not allowing Town equipment in the Fourth of July Parade, unless the Parade Committee opens up participation to all comers; that if that committee changes its policy this year, the SB supports Larry allowing Town equipment; that SB members can march in the parade at their option, without any official banners or other such accoutrements
• That Alisa and Diana would research the technicalities of amending the ZBA's charge to include information about the one-year terms for Associate Members, and bring a recommendation to the Select Board; and that they will bring a recommendation to us regarding an individual's desire to be reappointed for one year of a three-year term; that SB members would consider and comment at the next meeting on Diana's draft reappointment policy from last week (which she will re-send to us, to make sure we all have it)
• That Alisa will bring a recommendation to the 6/1 meeting regarding how participating Select Board members will be conveyed (by float, car or foot) in the Hadley 350th parade, June 14th
• That it sure would be nice if a private donor or donors contributed the $41,000 needed to run the pool this year, and to do so by June 1st, so that it could be expected to open by July 1st
• That the SB be notified when the current placeholder sections of the OSRP are finished and available on the Town's web site
• Not directly, but by implication: that the SOS Task Force be added to the CAF as soon as possible
• That future updates on any neighborhood's use of private security include information about how that arrangement is positively or negatively impacting the workload of the Police Department
• Not directly, but by implication: that both the original
Items to be added to 6/1 agenda:
• Follow-up discussion on the OSRP and consideration of a draft support letter
• Summer meeting dates and agenda plans (postponed due to the late hour)
• Consideration of a draft committee reappointment policy
Items to be added to a future agenda, not necessarily the next one:
• ZBA charge and reappointment details
Materials to be brought back to the next meeting:
Issues not resulting in actions and other topics considered:
• Public Comment: Dave Keenan spoke about a plan he will submit to help provide heating assistance to low-income residents in the form of firewood, and spoke in support of funding the War Memorial Pool. Rob Kusner spoke in support of using the Mutual Aid Agreement as a way of achieving cost-savings via increased collaboration between the Town and UMass police departments. Larry Kelley spoke in support of allowing Town equipment in the Fourth of July Parade. Carol Gray spoke in support of funding the War Memorial Pool and urged that budget cuts be distributed fairly across all departments.
Manager's Report: Talked about an
informal survey being conducted to gather information form passengers at the
Amherst Amtrak station, and the intent to present some of that info at the 5/20
meeting on local rail service at the Clarion Hotel in
• Alisa said that the Annual Report is still being edited, and that once done, it doesn't require SB or other approval, and it will be posted on the Town web site.
• Liaison & Representative Reports: Diana talked about the Public Shade Tree committee, and tree planting efforts including those by the Girl Scouts. Stephanie talked about the Campus and Community Coalition and bylaws adopted recently by Belchertown and Hadley, aimed at deterring problem behaviors often exhibited by college students. Alisa talked about the 250th committee and recent picnic on the Common. Gerry talked about the Committee on Homelessness' reconsideration of its original vote on the proposal for distribution of the Waxman funds, and their interest in using some of that money to provide permanent shelter.